BIRLA VISHVAKARMA MAHAVIDYALAYA
  A PREMIER INSTITUTION OF CVM
  FOUNDED IN 1948
  Motto: Work is Worship
  First Approved by Goverment as grant paid College
  More than 16000 engineers Graduated.
  Degrees offered – B.E., M.E. and Ph.D.
 
Infrastructure
   
   
Land : 63666.33 sq.m.
Builtup area : 39290.00 sq.m.
Academic area 15685.00 sq.m.
Available area is 3.8 times more than minimum, prescribed by AICTE requirement and seating capacity adequate for 3600 students.
Detail break up of built up of available area :

Particulars
Nos.
Total area sq.m.
Seating Capacity
Classroom
25
1880
1500
Tutorial room
4
285
120
Seminar hall
2
390
425
Drawing hall
6
1540
510
Laboratories
35
6850
700
Workshop
1
2880
150
Other
3
1860
200
Total
 
15685
3605
 
 
Facilities


The starting days

T
he infrastructure of the college was generously designed for three year degree programme with an intake of 150 students every year. The main building (now known as A Block) had class rooms and laboratories. Workshops and heat engine laboratory, drawing hall, hydraulics laboratory and boiler house were separately constructed. Shri Gordhanbhai I Patel of M/s Gordhandas Desai & Co was authorized to proceed to Europe and UK to purchase equipment for workshops, laboratories and surveying. The college thus started with the best of the equipments.
 
Outstanding facilities :
A spacious hall on the south end of the ground floor of the main building which at one time housed the college library was converted in 1989 into a modern – Auditorium with a capacity of 400 seates and complete with acoustical treatment, light, sound and projection facilities. The Auditorium is beautifully carpeted and curtained and is rated todays as one of the best Auditorium on Vallabh Vidyanagar campus.

The Mechanical Engineering building has a Conference Room installed with complete audio-visual facilities for a capacity of 40 seats.

The college workshop was reorganized to establish laboratories for the Production Engineering programme and to house new and sophisticated machines. On south side of the workshop a new building has come up for Civil & Production Engineering Laboratories. The building is constructed at a cost of Rs. 40 lakhs .

Principal S B Junnarkar Guest House has a facility of well furnished 10 guest rooms at the second floor of newly constracted liabrary Building is constructed with the estimated cost of Rs.60 lakhs is added to BVM infrastructure.

A Multipurpose Hall with donation from L&T(with the help of CEO Er. Anil Nayak a BVMite) is also an addition to the services of alma mater.

Computer Centres of Civil, Structural, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering are put to services in the year 2006 for students and faculties with internet connectivity.

College Canteen and conference room near Principal's office have been face libted recenty during 2006.

The College is in process of adding new Equipments for upgradation of laboratories of different departments and softwares at the estimated cost of Rs.6 crores. Equipments worth of Rs. 4 crores are already purchased where as the remaining ones are in the pipe line of the purchase. CVM has invested Rs 2.crores in face lifting the institution buildings for water proofing of terraces, colouring and white washing, new electrification etc..

The college had planned its facilities quite lavishly for the three-year programme with an intake of 150 students every year. The main building (now known as A Block) housed class rooms and laboratories. Workshops and heat engine laboratory, drawing hall, hydraulics laboratory and boiler house were separately housed. Shri Gordhanbhai I Patel of M/s Gordhandas Desai & Co was authorized to proceed to Europe and England to purchase equipment for workshops, laboratories and surveying. The college thus started with the best of equipments.
 
 
 
Library
The Library facilities and services were upgraded. The library was also provided with a separate Video room and a good collection of educational video cassettes as an aid to teaching-learning process.

Chairman Dr. C L Patel took up a drive to provide a separate library building for all the colleges managed by the CVM. Accordingly, a separate library building of the college was constructed for BVM also.
   
Books
Titles
Volumes
Text Books
18884
34910
Reference Books
175
375
Others
2635
2675
Total
20984
36722
Journals
Technical
Total
Indian
42
44
Foreign
06
06
 
 
Affiliations of the College
 
 
UNIVERSITY PERIOD
Bombay University JUNE 1948 - May 1951
Gujarat University JUNE 1951 - May 1957
Sardar Vallabhbhai Vdiyapeeth JUNE 1957 onwards
(Re-named as Sardar Patel University from 1966)
 
 
Government Recognitions
 
BVM became the grant-in-aid institution of the State Government in 1958 and slowly grants from the State as well as Central Government started trickling in. The Ministry of Works & Housing Govenment of India, Started a Rural Housing Wing from 1st January 1959. Principal of BVM, was named as the Ex-officio Director of the Wing. The wing was later renamed as a Regional Housing Development Centre.

The Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India recognized BVM in 1984 as one of the centers for training in-service engineers in Environmental Engineering through postgraduate programme of M E (Environmental Engineering) (the programme was run by the institute ealrlier since 1979..)
 
 
 
 
 
BVM enters in to IT Era
 
 
The Computer Center was established in 1985 and is being continuously upgraded and expanded. It had initially a UNIX-based minicomputer with sixteen terminals and a number of PC/XTs and PC/ATs providing DOS environment. A high resolution work station with sophisticated software was also available. In addition, the college installed personal computers in each department ot meet the departmental requirements.
 
 
BVM gets Self-financed mode programmes 
Two more IT related course are now run by BVM. One in 2001-02, 60 seats was approved by AICTE in Information Technology. Second one was also approved by AICTE in academic year 2006-07 with 1 60 seats in Electronics and Telecommunication.
 
In JUNE 1991, important programme of Computer Engineering was introduced with an intake of 30. Simultaneously intake to Civil Engineering was further reduced from 210 to 180. The intakes in 1992, in Electronics engineering & Computer Engineering was increased by 15 each.
 
 
BVM produces a baby - a Search Institute:
In 1979, BVM was called upon to establish an institute working entirely for research, developmgnt, training and extension work in the area of renewable sources of energy particular for rural application. Dr. R M Dave took great pains in establishing the Jyoti Solar Energy Institute. The institute (later renamed as Sardar Patel Renewable Energy Research Institute) has now developed into a full - fledged institute warking independently in the vital area of renewable energy.
 
 
 
Curriculum
During all these ten years, BVM students were very active in the extracurricular activities also. They excelled in various games like Cricket, Badminton, Table Tennis, Tennis, Hockey, Football, etc.

They became champions in Athletics and performed distinguishly in the engineering units of the N.C.C. The sound traditions continue even today.

   
 
Address : BVM Engineering College, Vallabh Vidyanagar - 388 120. GUJARAT, INDIA. Ph. :91 2692 230104 (o) Fax : 91 2692 230762